Once you have decided you want to hire a birth photographer the next step is finding some photographers whose work you like and scheduling a time to meet them in person. But then what? This person will be sharing a very intimate experience with your family and be forever entwined in your birth story. It is important that they are a great fit for you and your family and can meet your expectations.
It is a good idea to interview a couple different photographers to make sure you have that perfect fit. Here is a quick list of questions you can use during your interviews. There are no right or wrong answers to any of the questions, just answers that you are comfortable with.
Birth Photographer Interview Questions
- How long have you been photographing birth?
- How many births have you photographed?
- How many births have you missed?
- Have you photographed a variety births?
- What type of photography do you specialize in?
- What are your views on birth?
- Do you use professional gear?
- Do you have insurance?
- When will you come to the birth?
- How long do you stay after baby is born?
- What happens if you miss the birth?
- Do you use a flash? What if I don’t want flash photography?
- Can I see a birth you have photographed from start to finish?
- How many birth clients do you take in a month?
- How many times have you had to use a backup and why?
- Who is your backup? Can we meet them?
- Do you offer print products?
- Can I limit how you use my images?
- What is your average turn around time on receiving my images?
- How do you process the images? Black and white, color, a mixture?
- How would you describe your style?
- What types of payments do you accept?
- Do you have a payment plan?
- When is payment due?
- Do you offer maternity, fresh48, newborn or coming home sessions?
- Tell me about yourself.